Welcome to 2019. The Tualatin Aging Task Force wishes everyone in the Tualatin community Happy New Year. May the warm glow of the holiday season displayed in the outpouring of kindness, giving and sharing with our families, neighbors, friends and those in need continue throughout the year.
January 2019 marks 6 years that the Task Force has been working in the community advocating not only for seniors but all residents of Tualatin. We believe that a community that is better for older adults is a community that is better for everyone. This is the premise that drives the Task Force to continue its work. Some of our accomplishments and involvements over the last 6 years:
• Partnered with the Tualatin Chamber of Commerce to bring Ride Connection to town;
• Led the community grass roots effort to keep the U.S. Post Office at its present location;
• Participated in the city’s focus groups on the Development Code update, the Street Improvement Bond and Parks Master Plan update;
• Partnered with the Chamber of Commerce and city staff and worked for a year with TriMet to increase day time bus service hours to/from Portland on line #96. The new updated Monday through Friday schedule went into effect on December 2, 2018. Check the end of this column for information on how to access the new schedule.
• Worked very closely this past year with the City, Chamber, TriMet and Metro with input on the SW Corridor Project and the light rail terminal at Bridgeport with its impact on the Village Inn. Through another community grass roots effort led by the Task Force,
Tualatin stood up and said ‘keep the Village Inn where it is’ and TriMet is listening. We will know more in the next two months.
• We continue to look at alternate transportation options in and out of Tualatin and affordable housing options to age in place, again working closely with the City and Chamber to be viable and active community partners. As we look to the future of our community, the Task Force wants to stress that age is not a criteria to join our group. We strive to be multi-generational and inclusive. Every opinion, view, input and suggestion is valuable and important. We invite you to join us in our work ahead. We meet the second Monday of each month at 3:00 pm at the Juanita Pohl Center. For questions/concern/information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Trimet Line #96:
This line is the express bus which now runs Monday through Friday every half hour from 5:15 am to 8:41 pm to Portland with a corresponding return service from Portland. You can go to the TriMet website for a complete schedule and designated stops: www.trimet.org/servicechange. Under “Pick a Line,’ scroll down to Line 96 Tualatin.