Posted on April 3, 2013 at 7:08 am
Business was booming in Tualatin after the First World War, as gasoline filling stations replaced the old Blacksmith shops and farmers hauled wagon loads of onions, potatoes and grain to the Southern Pacific depot to be loaded onto rail cars and shipped to Portland or San Francisco.
Although the area was incorporated in 1913, prohibition later closed the saloons, but the El Rey still operated as a pool hall in Old Town. Kids were caddying
at the golf course, picking berries, or weeding onions to earn spending money for school clothes or a bicycle, and to boot often helped milk a line of cows before walking off to school.