The new Tualatin VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) is moving into a new location. You’ve probably noticed the construction that’s been going on for several years moving and restoring the landmark Robinson’s Crossing red brick building at 18820 SW Boones Ferry Rd. This historic building was also known as the former home of Rich’s Kitchen, Tualatin’s oldest commercial building – built in 1912.
The old VFW Post at 8455 SW Seneca was demolished by developer David Emami this month. He has long-range plans to put in a commercial building with underground parking in that area.
No date has been set yet for Open House/ribbon cutting which will be done in conjunction with The Tualatin Chamber of Commerce.
The organization is officially known as Veterans of Foreign Wars of America Major Axel Rasmusen Post and Auxiliary 3452. Old-timers fondly remember the VFW Post Home as the social center of the community in the ’50s and ’60s, with dances and fundraisers on the weekends and groups like Boy Scout Troop 35 meeting there during the week. To commemorate completion of the building in 1951, Post members caught crawfish from the Tualatin River (it was teeming with those critters then), cooked them, and then handed them out through the kitchen window – starting the city’s annual Crawfish Festival.